A floating bed is an elegant, modern, and versatile bed frame design that can add an interesting aesthetic and dimension to your bedroom. This simple yet stylish bedroom upgrade consists of a raised, leveled, horizontal frame with a wooden platform meant to support the mattress. These beds are comfortable, practical, and come in various timeless designs that will easily elevate the look and vibe of your bedroom, no matter your style.
If you are looking for a stylish and minimalistic bed that creates a clean look in your bedroom, a floating bed is your best bet! This article looks at everything you need to know about floating beds to take the guesswork out of your bedroom styling and shopping.
Let’s dive in.
Image: Jellina Detmar
What Is The Purpose Of A Floating Bed?
One of the most common questions from shoppers is why they should buy a floating bed instead of other bed designs. You first have to understand what a floating bed is to conceptualize its purpose in your bedroom.
A floating bed frame features a wooden or metallic design whose support is not easily visible, giving it the illusion that the bed is floating. They have a base made of slats or a flat surface that is designed to accommodate most standard mattress sizes. Unlike other regular beds with a box spring profile, the slat or flat surface in a floating bed provides a solid foundation for the mattress while drastically lowering this frame design’s costs.
What makes a floating bed float?
Floating beds have legs closer to the center of the mattress, which gives an impression that the bed is hovering above the ground and opens up more possibilities for space and functionality. You are unable to see the support because it is hidden in the shadows of the frame.
With the bed floating, you can place it anywhere within your room and still have extra space for rugs and other accessories under the bed. This is a huge appeal to those looking to furnish a smaller bedroom space.
Floating bed with lights
So, what’s the purpose of a floating bed:
- Since these beds have various modular designs with removable panels. They can easily accommodate different size mattresses to meet any needs.
- Their minimalistic design can easily morph with your exciting interior décor and bedroom setup for that sleek, simple, and timeless look.
- Floating beds have invisible support and normally sit closer to the ground than other bed frame models, bringing a sense of spaciousness to a small room.
- Floating beds come with super essential add-ons and accessories such as underneath LED lights, detachable headboards, nightstands, and storage drawers that can dramatically add a cool, chic, and modern vibe to any bedroom. LED lights are a surefire way to add comfort and elegance to your intimate space.
- They will save you a few bucks since you don’t need box files.
- The additional space underneath this bed frame can provide extra storage space to store items out of sight.
- For people with small spaces who would love to maintain a minimalistic design, the floating bed allows you to keep it simple and easy to clean, even the difficult-to-reach areas.
- If you toss and turn at night, a floating bed is more stable and is less disturbing to your sleeping partner since it has a solid support panel instead of the regular box files common with other bed designs.
Image: THIS MINIMAL HOUSE
How Much Does A Floating Bed Cost?
A good floating bed can cost anywhere between $200 and $1000. This shows that these beds are considerably inexpensive compared to other bed frame designs. However, depending on the material, design, size, finishes, brand, add-ons, and accessories, these beds can go upwards of $3500. Fortunately, for the DIY enthusiast, you can make a floating bed with easy-to-get materials such as wood pallets, which can bring your costs down dramatically.
How Are Floating Beds Supported?
Floating beds are supported by discreetly placed legs usually attached towards the center of the bed to create an illusion that the bed is hovering above the ground. It can also be designed close to the ground. They supported by a smaller, rectangular box profile that’s hidden from sight.
Some floating beds can also be fixed against the wall on one end and supported on the other end with a single leg. That’s placed closer to the center of the bed to create that floating illusion. Today, some designers are going the extra mile by using transparent Lucite legs to create an illusion of floating.
Are Floating Beds Strong?
Absolutely! Floating beds are designed with functionality and strength in mind. They have strong, strategically placed supports to offer maximum support while still creating that stylish, magical, floating look. They, therefore, sit firmly on the ground and support the sleeper the same way a regular bed would.
Besides, floating beds have a sturdier frame that eliminates the need for box springs. With the weight of box springs eliminated, this bed will hold up decently to your weight.
How Much Weight Can A Floating Bed Hold?
The weight capacity of a floating bed depends on the quality, construction finesse, and material durability. But an average queen-size floating bed is designed to withstand anywhere between 500 and 800 pounds. This is much higher than some other bed frame options.
With this weight tolerance, floating beds are sufficiently safe for children. They still bounce, jump or have a meltdown in this comfortable environment.
What Is The Difference Between A Floating Bed And A Platform Bed?
A floating bed is a low-profile bed with a solid wooden or slatted platform and sturdy legs that are hidden from direct sight to give the illusion that your bed is floating. On the other hand, a platform bed is a simple, low-raised bed (6-18 inches from the ground) with wooden slats, iron or metal grids, or a solid base and regular visible legs. A platform bed may also include discreetly designed drawers for extra storage, which are hidden underneath the bed.
Advantages Of A Floating Bed
Here are some of the advantages of a floating bed:
- They provide a magical floating effect that will add an incredible modern touch to your bedroom
- They are sturdy and don’t produce pesky creaking sounds
- Easy to install
- They’re strong and durable
- It provides an effect of spaciousness
- A floating bed make cleaning underneath and arrangement easy since there are no obstacles
- They have a variety of styles and designs to suit any bedroom
- Floating beds are modern, elegant, and fashionable.
Disadvantages Of A Floating Bed
Some of the drawbacks of a floating bed include:
- Their low-profile design may make it difficult for getting in and out of bed
- Cheaper versions may not be able to sustain a lot of weight.
- They are not Easy to Move Around
There You Have It!
Floating beds are comfortable, supportive, strong, and ideal for any modern bedroom. A quality floating bed can create an elegant and contemporary focal point for your bedroom. Making even a small space feel bigger and roomier. With various styles, colors, layouts, and innovative designs, you can get an inexpensive floating bed. It will transform the look and style of your bedroom.