Ikea Created “Love Seats” in Honor of Pride
Ikea Created “Love Seats” inspired by 2SLGBTQ+ Pride flags. Dive into comfort with someone you hold dear with fabric love seats in a wide range of styles and colors that can fit any living space and budget. Designers drew inspiration from collaborations with 2SLGBTQ+ community members, who shared powerful personal insights around identity and belonging.
In honour of Pride, IKEA Canada has collaborated with designers active in the 2SLGBTQ+ community to create “Love Seats,” a series of one-of-a-kind slipcovers inspired by the colours of different Pride flags, and the lived experiences from a wide spectrum of gender and sexual identities they represent.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, storytelling and personal connection have played an even more important role in bringing Canadians together. People are craving intimate, meaningful, and authentic stories that spark joy, make them think, or teach them something new. The Love Seats serve as a platform upon which members and allies of the 2SLGBTQ+ community can feel safe to share their love stories with the world—whether those stories are about self-love, romantic love, family love, chosen love, or community love.
All ten Love Seat slipcovers were handcrafted by one of four designers active in the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
The IKEA Love Seats designed by Bianca Daniela Nachtman include:
- Transgender Flag #1 Love Seat featuring Nathaniel who shares their story of family love.
- 2Spirit Flag Love Seat featuring Scott Wabano who shares their story of identity and family support.
- Pansexual Flag Love Seat featuring Sarah Bellstedt who shares their story of self love.
The IKEA Love Seats designed by Madison Van Rijn include:
- Lesbian Flag Love Seat featuring Jena Nasser & Veronica Harris who share their story of romantic love.
- Transgender Flag #2 Love Seat featuring Jules who shares their story of romantic love.
The IKEA Love Seats designed by Charlotte Carbone include:
- Non-binary Flag Love Seat featuring Marisa Rosa Grant who shares their story of community love and chosen family.
- Genderfluid Flag Love Seat featuring John Walsh who shares their story of self love.
- Bisexual Flag Love Seat featuring Brian Lanigan who shares their story of community love.
The IKEA Love Seats designed by Ali Haider include:
- Progress Flag Love Seat featuring Waseem Shayk who shares their story of community love.
- Asexual Flag Love Seat featuring Brianna Roye who shares their story of self love.
“Each Love Seat was designed in collaboration with a community member and inspired by the colours and personal meaning of the corresponding flag. Each designer had the freedom to create a one-of-a-kind piece of art,” says Claudia Mayne, Director, Marketing Communications at IKEA Canada. “This partnership is our way of helping artists in different communities express themselves on a large platform in a way that’s been tricky during COVID-19.”