There is nothing more inviting for visitors in your home than a cozy living room. It is also one of the most used rooms of the house. Finding a balance between a cozy and functional living room can take some trial and error with decorating ideas. Use these ten items to get it right the first time.
1. Throw Blankets – By placing one or two throw blankets in your living room you are inviting everyone to curl up and get comfy in your living room.
2. Grouping – In large living rooms using seating groups can make the room feel cozier. There is nothing cozy about yelling across the room to speak with someone.
3. Books – Using books to decorate is a throwback way to invite people to get comfy. Even though more people read using Kindle and other e readers now, there is something comforting about real books.
4. Photos – Personal or family photos are a great way to make your living room more intimate. Adding a photo grouping to a side table or hanging them on the wall in mismatched frames add a personal touch to your decor.
5. Lamps – Lighting is an important part of any decor. For a cozy feeling lamps add subtle lighting while adding to the aesthetics of the room.
6. Footstool – There are tons of things that can be used as footstools. Reinforced hat boxes, stacked Pepsi crates with a pillow inside, and many others. You don’t have to use the old vinyl square ones your grandmother used to have, unless they fit into your decor.
7. Psudo Coffee Tables – Old steamer trunks or over-sized footstools can make great coffee tables. Make sure that the height is right when choosing other items to use as coffee tables.
8. Floor to Ceiling Curtains – Valances and sheer curtains do not give off the same feeling as long thick curtains. A bonus of this is they are good for helping with your heating and cooling bills.
9. Knick-Knacks – These little items can make or break the feeling you are trying to convey. Finding just the right chotchkies to place in your living room to make it cozy can be tricky. They are also easy to overuse. Decide how many you want to use and divide that number in half.
10. Rugs – Even on carpeted floors, rugs can define your space. They also can be the missing link to pulling together your groupings.
Using any of these ten items can help your living room go from stark and cold to warm and inviting. Keep the amount of space you have available in mind. It is easy to go for a cozy atmosphere yet wind up with a room that feels more overdone than welcoming.